Who is Vembu Technologies
Vembu Technologies is a leading player in the Backup and Disaster Recovery market, founded in 2002, headquartered in India, with a presence in the United States of America and the United Kingdom.
Vembu Technologies is specializing in developing software for Backup, Disaster Recovery and Cloud Storage domains for all sizes of companies (from Small over Medium to Enterprise Businesses) and Service Providers.
The company can be followed in Twitter (https://twitter.com/vembutech) and Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/vembutech) for new releases, updates, insightful posts and more. Their website is located at https://www.bdrsuite.com
Vembu BDR Suite
The flagship product of Vembu Technologies is Vembu BDR Suite. Vembu Technologies launched its data center Backup and Disaster Recovery software, the Vembu BDR Suite in 2014. The first edition focused on the Virtualized Datacenter Backup and Recovery market using VMware and Hyper-V.
Now, 8 years later, Vembu Technologies released version 5.5.0 of Vembu BDR Suite (released on 16 NOV 2022) providing Backup & Restore plus Disaster Recovery capabilities for on-premises and many public cloud solutions.
Vembu BDR Suite is designed to protect the following types of infrastructures:
- Data Centers/Private Clouds (VMware, Hyper-V, Windows, Linux, Applications & Databases),
- Public Cloud (AWS)
- SaaS Applications (Microsoft 365, Google Workspace)
- Endpoints (Windows, Linux, Mac)
Looking at the product, some of the important things I like to mention regarding the Vembu BDR Suite to mention are:
- A centralized backup server needs to be installed.
- the required Operating System of the backup server can be both Windows or Linux (Ubuntu)
- can be installed as a standalone solution or a clustered solution.
- uses PostgreSQL as the backup database
- Agent / Agentless
- Vembu BDR Suite does not require an agent for VMware, Hyper-V, AWS EC2 Instances, Microsoft 365, and Google Workspace.
- Vembu BDR Suite requires an agent (The BDRS Suite Backup Agent (BBA)) to be installed on Windows and Linux machines for Disk Image, Files & Folders backup. This agent can be installed both automatically or manually on the target machine.
- To perform backup and recovery tasks a centralized web-based console is available.
- Application-consistent, Image-level backups can be set up with scheduling options with RPO & RTO of 15 mins.
- By default Compression is enabled storage cost reduction
- By default Encryption is enabled for improved security
- Restore options:
- Instant Boot VM with Live migration
- Full VM Recovery
- Bare Metal Recovery (BMR)
- Backup data can be downloaded in multiple formats like VHD, VHDX, VMDK, Flat-VMDK, and Raw.
- Backup data can be replicated or archived for disaster recovery purposes to offsite locations, cloud locations or tape devices.
- Cloud storage can be used to store backup data, backup copy and offsite copy data
- The Multi tenancy is a feature in the BDRSuite Backup Server for managing collective BDR tasks between various users by providing privileges as per requirement. This feature enables users to assign multiple BDR roles, provide multiple accesses considering privileges, contributing to effective resource utilization and improved performance.
- Licensing models:
- Perpetual or Subscription
- CPUsocket-based or VM-based (for VMware/Hyper-V)
- Per server (Image, Files & Folders), per instance (AWS), per user (M365, Google Workspace), per endpoint, per application (Exchange, SQL, Saherpoint, Outlook, MySQL)
A general overview of BDR Suite is available on Youtube:
New Features and Enhancements in version 5.5.0
- Support for VMware vSphere v8.x
- BDRSuite now supports Backup and Replication for virtual machines running on the latest version VMware vSphere v8.x.
- Google Cloud as Backup Repository
- Google Cloud Storage (Object Storage) is now supported in BDRSuite to store backup data, backup copy and offsite copy data. BDRSuite already supports other cloud storages such Amazon S3, Azure Blog, S3 Compatible storages such as Wasabi, MinIO, etc.
- ConnectWise Integration
- BDRSuite now supports ConnectWise Integration. This feature allows you to create service tickets automatically in ConnectWise Manage for BDRSuite activities. The tickets can be created for various tasks (Backup/Restore/Replication) and different task status (Success/Failed/Warning) on relevant service boards.
- Backup and Recovery of VMware VM Templates
- BDRSuite for VMware now supports backup for VMware VM Templates. Now, VM Templates will show up in the list of VMware ESXi/vCenter entities that can be selected for backup. You can configure backup for VM Templates and restore when required.
- Backup and Recovery of Google Workspace Shared Drive
- BDRSuite now supports backup and recovery of Shared Drives in Google Workspace Organization.
- Backup and Recovery of Microsoft 365 Archive Mailbox
- BDRSuite now supports backup and recovery of user mails in the Archive Mailbox (In-place Archive) of Microsoft 365
- Deduplication for Microsoft 365 User Mails
- BDRSuite supports deduplication for backed up user mails from Microsoft 365.
- VMware CBT Reset
- Parallel Disk Image Backup
- Parallel Synthetic Full Backup
- Auxiliary Applications for Microsoft 365 Backup
- Restore to a mailbox in different Organization (Microsoft 365 & Google Workspace)
- Restore the backed up user mails directly from Microsoft 365 console through BDRSuite Add-in for Outlook
- Download Restore Logs for Microsoft 365 and Google Workspace
- Breadcrumbs view for OneDrive and Group OneDrive Restore
- Enhanced progress window for Offsite Replication
Watch a recorded webinar to know what’s new in BDRSuite v5.5 on Youtube:
Vembu BDR Suite Editions
Vembu BDR Suite comes in multiple editions:
- Backup for VMware & Hyper-V is available in 5 Editions: Free, Standard Essentials, Standard, Enterprise Essentials, and Enterprise Edition.
- Backup for Microsoft Windows, AWS, Microsoft 365, Google Workspace, Endpoints are available in two editions: Free and Standard Edition.
For full details about the various editions and what is included in each edition please see https://www.vembu.com/vembu-bdr-suite-free-vs-paid-edition/
For full details about the various editions and what is included in each edition please see https://www.bdrsuite.com/vembu-bdr-suite-free-vs-paid-edition/
Licensing and Pricing
Vembu BDR Suite is offered in Subscription and Perpetual license models.
- With Subscription licensing, you can purchase and use the product for a certain period. The license can be either purchased on a monthly or yearly basis (1, 2, 3 or 5 years).
- Subscription licensing include product updates, upgrades and standard technical support during the subscription period.
- Perpetual licensing include free maintenance & Support for 1 year
You can opt for any one of these models based on your requirements. These include VM Level, User Level, CPU-Socket Level, and Instance Level based pricing.
You can sign up for a Vembu Portal Account at https://portal.vembu.com/signup.html#signup and easily purchase licenses, make payments, and manage the licenses from the central console.
- Edition comparison: https://www.bdrsuite.com/vembu-bdr-suite-free-vs-paid-edition
- Pricing: https://www.bdrsuite.com/vembu-bdr-suite-pricing
- 30-day trial: https://www.bdrsuite.com/vembu-bdr-suite-download/
- Portal Account: https://portal.vembu.com/signup.html#signup
- Release Notes: https://www.bdrsuite.com/guide/vembu-bdr-suite/5-5/en/release-notes.html
- User Guide: https://www.bdrsuite.com/guide/vembu-bdr-suite/5-5/en/about-bdrsuite.html
- Product Videos: https://www.bdrsuite.com/product-videos/
- Book a Demo: https://www.bdrsuite.com/vembu-product-demo/
- Forum: https://www.vembu.com/community/questions/
- General overview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cVYx3ltCNc
- What’s new in BDR Suite 5.5 Webinar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfCi70hZSDs